Friday, February 15, 2008

42

Just got back from a day spent at a local sci-fi/fantasy convention called Life, the Universe, and Everything. It's on the BYU campus in Provo. I had never been to BYU before. It's a nice looking campus, though it's a bit of an unusual experience for a non-Mormon. Not scary, but...a bit odd.

I enjoyed the day at the Con. There were surprisingly good and well-attended panel discussions, and I enjoyed talking with all the local writers there. The writing luminaries at LTUE included Orson Scott Card, Brandon Sanderson, and Gail Carson Levine. My writer bud Paul Genesse and the impressive young poet JoSelle Vanderhooft were also there, slinging words and promotional swag. Good times.

We're going back tomorrow, and I anticipate that we'll have a great time then, too. That, as they say, is the news. Hope you're all doing well in this new year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a nice looking campus, though it's a bit of an unusual experience for a non-Mormon. Not scary, but...a bit odd.

Yeah, it's like that, isn't it? Not just for non-Mormons, either; just about everyone I know finds it peculiar. BYU is just a very deeply odd place. But with a really great sf/f symposium.

(This, by the way, is Sarah, the bespectacled girl you got talking to in the registration room on Friday. Since you gave me your card, I thought I'd drop by. ^.~)

Patrick M. Tracy said...

Sarah,

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate it. I had a nice time talking with you. Good luck on your writing. It sounded as if you were doing all the right things to become a great writer and succeed in the business (if that's your primary goal).

I hope we're able to meet again at the other local conventions, such as CONduit or MountainCon.

I didn't feel deeply odd, but it was sort of like being the proverbial "fly on the wall" for a few of the discussions that assumed deep knowledge of the LDS faith.

It was great to meet you, and again, I wish you well.