Wednesday, October 21, 2009

On the Eve of the Big Roadtrip!

Salt Lake to Monterey. It's getting close. I've been buying all sorts of probably-unnecessary junk to get myself "ready" for the road. I made sure that my parakeet, Jari, has plenty of food in the house. I bought my EeePC presents. I have fuel treatment for the car. I have the fricken' Google Maps, baby.

Friday is the big day. According to my triptych, I've got 835 miles to drive that day. I don't remember ever driving any further in one stretch. It's exciting. My butt will probably hurt. It'll give me some evidence of actually owning a car--my machine's never been further than about 60 miles away from town, and I've owned it since Fall, '05. Sad. I'm so boring.

So, yeah. Internet Librarian 2009, pre-conferences and all, the full five days. Then one day (28th) on my own recongnizance to travel up the coast to San Jose and find a motel for the night. From there, I'll have World Fantasy Con. Then, on Sunday, it'll be the all-singing, all-dancing 780 mile drive home.

Luckily, I have Monday off, so I can take a day to put my backside parts back where they belong.

I'm looking forward to the learning opportunities that I'll have at the Internet Librarians conference. I think they'll help me, since I'm on the workgroups for both Tech Access and Skills and Web Development for the SLC library. World Fantasy will be great, I'm sure. I always love attending that one, and I always hope that I'll be able to meet with some people that might help me take the next step in my writing career. I have to admit that I haven't had as much time to prep that part of my trip as I would like, but I hope things will still work out well. If for no other reason than to hang out with great writers, it's an important yearly trip for me, and one that I hated to miss last time.

Anyway, that probably made no sense. Totally stream of consciousness blogging. Hope you're all well. Don't get run over. Don't pick up a duck in a dungeon. Don't pick your feet in Poughkeepsie (sp?).

No comments: