Sunday, February 22, 2009

Life, the Universe, and Everything Symposium 2009

Hey, Folks,

I had the opportunity to attend LTUE again this year. For those who don't know, it's a conference on Fantasy and Science Fiction writing that takes place at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

Yes, that's the heart of Mormon Country. No, it's not that scary. They're very nice, and LDS writers happen to be some of the most well-thought-of members of the speculative fiction crowd.

Among the attendees were Tracy Hickman (think Dragonlance), Brandon Sanderson, Dave Farland, L.E. Modesitt, Dan Willis, Paul Genesse (my bud!), Eric Swedin, Julie Wright, Julie Frost, Bob Defendi, Howard Tayler, and more. There were some great artists there, as well.

I think that LTUE has some of the best, most informative panel discussions around. Compared to many other conventions, it's a bonaza of information. It's great that there is a FREE event so near me. The cost of the convention-going business is in the getting there and the accomodations, let me tell you. If there's an event within easy driving distance from you, you're pretty much obligated to go. It's just too good an opportunity to pass up. If you're in the Mountain West, and you're interested in Sci-Fi or Fantasy writing, you should certainly go to LTUE.

Among the highlights for this year included hearing Tracy Hickman hold forth about, well, anything. He's a great raconteur, and his main address about the nexus of experience between the word on the page and the person reading it was great. Very moving at times, as well as featuring Tracy's great humor. I'd heard him speak about gaming topics a few times in the past, but this was the first time I'd heard him expound on the writing process. Good stuff. Inspiring stuff. Glad I went.

In my own writing news, I'm still working on my "The High and the Mighty" story about stoners who survive the zombie apolcalypse, as well as putting the editorial touches on "The Settled Dust". I need to be busier, of course, but things are progressing apace. I talked to a few writers about the projects, and they appeared to be interested. Did my writerly good deeds by trying to help out with a few projects my writer friends are working on, as well. A good weekend, all in all.

Hope you're all doing well out there in Blogland. Remember to keep a weapon nearby, in case of zombies.

No comments: